Monthly Archives: August 2014

Hair and Fur2

Arf… to be able to create the hair that Emi wanted for our creature, I had to fake the underskin of the creature, the hairs were to long and was difficult to get some nice results with a reasonable render time.

Here some progress:

hair_test_12 hair_test_13

I really love how the hair looks with the light behind… ohh… so lovely…. don’t you think?

I played a lot with the Multi strand parameter with this hair, this way I can have lots of hair with a reasonable render time.

Still lots of work to do with this hair.. but today we moved one step forwards! Yehaa!!

Hair and Fur

 

While Emi my illustrator, is working adding some amazing details to the mesh of the Hunter, I’m starting to do some tests with the Hair and Fur…

Creating the right hair is never easy… and also trying to not extend too much the render times…
Still I couldnt find the final solution to the Hunter hair but we are on the way….

Possibly I will have to apply more than one hair and fur modifier, and also create maps for the lenght, curl, density, clumps…!
Wish me luck.

hair_test_01 hair_test_03 hair_test_04

 

Tests with Multi UV, Vector Displacement and Mudbox

memo post:

I’m working on a big creature in Mudbox and I found out that I needed extra detail, so after doing some research I came with the solution that was to create a Multi Texture for the model and then proceed with it, adding detail on Mudbox.

I’m still working on it, trying to remove some artifacts on the Vector Displacement, that seems created by some Nesting on my mesh.

To apply the multi uv vector displacement in 3Dsmax I used the Vray displacement mod and using the “composite” material to put all the four textures toguether.

vector_disp_multiuv vector_disp_multiuv_2

————————————–
update
————————————–

I could remove the nesting artifacts in the vector displacement using this setup:
Seems was some problem with the smoothings

vector_disp_multiuv_5

Now I have smooth and nice Vector Displacements :)

vector_disp_multiuv_3

————————————–
update
————————————–

Later on, because the creature may have fur or hair over it, … I wanted to achieve the same ” or similar ” result using Displacement Modifier of 3DsMax with a Standard Displacement map export from mudbox.

— This is the 3Ds MAX viewport Capture —
vector_disp_multiuv_6

vector_disp_multiuv_8 vector_disp_multiuv_10

 

So finaly! got some nice results and now i’m able to create large creatures, with huge amount of details ” until my ram fills up and my workstation crashes ” :D:D:D